Sunday 22 January 2012

What is 'Lost'

...outside of a great TV show?

There's something to be said about it. Getting lost.

Cardiff Journey
In time!?
(Cardiff, Wales^)

I imagine that, in days past, such a thing would be a more serious affair for me. But the fact is that I do it an awful lot, mostly by getting on the wrong bus. Happened in St John's a LOT. But I learned never to do it again, and even more useful: I learned my way around. If I ever caught the wrong bus at the end of a shift, I'd hop off and retrace the steps until I got myself home. I didn't know St John's before moving there, but you can be damned sure I knew my way around after I left, and that was all completely by accident.
Lots of experimentation, too. "Hey, I'll try going this way today! See if I end up anywhere familiar!" So I would. And I did. Caught the wrong bus around town a few times, made note of some landmarks, and voila.
In fact, I think half my knowledge of the geography of St John's comes from accidental bus rides.

Cut to London.

London

London
Don't we all wish we just 'could'

I was here once before with a friend way back in '08. He knew his way around. I followed his lead and before long, I was leading. Four years later I come back, and first thing I do is look at a map (no, that's not cheating) and take note of where I need to go, and it's location relative to where I've already been. Then I re-acquaint myself with the tube. Done in an instant.
Bam, I know my way around.
But to be fair, I'm more used to it on the tube... what to do there?
Well, I get out of a show early... so I decide to walk. Get lost, and find my way. Again, it's knowing where to go relative to where I am... not hard. I'm somewhat of a directional aficionado.

Cut to my return from Cardiff.

Lost
Perhaps a Church will give me direction?

I get the rail back, try to connect from Liverpool to Harlow Mill.
Not happening, engineering delays. Line is cut.
Ok, I have to take the bus.

Cardiff Journey
Thrilled.

Guy at the ticket counter tells me what train to get so I might connect with a bus. Naturally, in true style, I get on the wrong one.
This put me in all kind of unfamiliar places tonight. I said I was 'lost'. I was, really, but I put my trust in others who knew where I was going-- the kindly National Rail UK folks.
And now I know how to navigate the rail-replacement bus system from London to Harlow.

Keep going. Find a landmark. Look at the sun. Find a body of water. Trust in others. Never Panic.

There's a metaphor in all these stories but I can't think of a single one. Just apply it to your life like a good little reader, eh?

Now I'm patiently waiting for my Sister to come visit tomorrow. It's been some time since she last visited London, so I'm giving lots of advice. Maybe too much. What I don't know, I ask about (another important tool in the lost-man's arsenal, as previously demonstrated.) but for the most part, it's just one tiny detail of transportation. Which I guess isn't all that tiny.

London

So.. where was I?
Oh right, there's something to be said about getting lost.
Do it. Do it often. Find your way again and it'll help you gain a little more perspective during your travels. Or life in general.

So to answer the title, 'lost' is a great means of finding your way, if you let it.

And that's all for now. I'm going to find my way to my bed.

IMG_4572
Dreamy

1 comment: