Sunday 14 May 2017

The Great Cycle Challenge

So, this coming June I will be doing a thing.

I've signed up to the 'Great Cycle Challenge: Canada' which supports SickKids foundation. This organisation is working towards a cure for childhood cancer -- and, I imagine, cancer in general.

I've decided to blog along the way and update on my progress. I've set 1000km in the month of June as my distance goal, which is probably the most I've ever ridden in one month, ever. I've also set $500 as my fundraising goal, which I hope to surpass as time goes on. It's a modest financial goal but every little bit helps. If I reach it (thanks to your help), then I'll crank it up to 11 and keep on truckin'.

My reasons for doing this will be explored throughout the next couple of weeks, but a concise summary right now would probably be: Cancer Sucks. I've watched this disease take lives both figuratively and literally throughout my short lifetime, and sincerely hope to see the day where it is no longer a threat to the health and happiness of... well, everyone. Young, old; poor, or less poor.

As an experiment of sorts, I'll also be talking a little along the way about the issues facing an athlete with colitis. At the end of last year I was diagnosed with this disease, and balancing my passion for endurance sports with a delicate digestive system has been, to say the least, educational. I'll research and play to  learn what I can about the dos and don'ts, and then write about it here.

If you'd like to donate and support this effort, please feel free to swing by here. Donating can start as early as... right now. No need to wait 'till June. If you'd like to learn a little more about SickKid's foundation, then please take a look at their website.

The blogging will sporadic and time-dependent, so for more regular updates on progress then please feel free to visit my Instagram.

Thank you in advance, and here's to cycling for a cause.


No comments:

Post a Comment